undomielle

The Boat Was My Friend

...The cliff edge of workaday morality

Rivers of London
Dave Eggers

"Samsa In Love" - New short story by Haruki Murakami; just published

Samsa In Love - Haruki Murakami

That's right.
The latest issue of The New Yorker includes a new short story by Haruki Murakami, in which he delivers a reversed take of Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis.

Treat here: http://goo.gl/jkCdjQ

Update 11:56 am

And I just finished reading it. Twice. A bold, sweet and emotional comeback following his 1Q84 lukewarm (that's what I thought.. sorry) playings. Good one!

Similarly to 1Q84, Murakami is using the 3rd person in the narrative, but I think it works well here. I still believe he is at his best when using the 1st person, but the writing is still descriptive, detailed and very expressive.

SPOILER ALERT (well, not really)

I'm sure that being transformed to a human overnight must be quite a dazzling baffling experience for an insect (as was the reverse in The Metamorphosis, to say the least) and Murakami does a good job in developing empathy with Gregor Samsa.

END OF SPOILER ALERT (that wasn't so bad, was it?)

The opening line reads like an honest "Hey, I'm doing a retake of The Metamorphosis here, so you probably think I've gone completely insane. Because obviously, the analogy will piss everyone off and the bad reviews will start flowing in like crazy. Do I really need this right now? It's not like the critics don't talk about me. I was nominated for a Nobel not two weeks ago for fuck's sake. ... Oh whatever, who cares. I still feel like doing it"  ...which is admirable anyway.

So nice one Murakami. You kind of pissed me off with 1Q84, but I think you pulled it off just fine here.

Source: http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2013/10/28/131028fi_fiction_murakami?currentPage=all